Thursday, December 11, 2008

what a difference a day makes

Just yesterday I was getting ready for our company's annual holiday party this Saturday.  I went shopping for a new dress and had plans to get 'spray' tanned tonight.  Jason and I had reserved a room at the hotel where the party was being held and we had planned to head downtown early in the day to enjoy some of the downtown holiday bustle.  I was so excited!


Today I am unemployed.

My company, a real estate developer, is obviously not doing well in this down economy.  We have been selling homes at a HUGE loss the last month or so just to sell them.  We've lost construction loans and have already gone through a massive lay off back in October.  They cut our company practically in half leaving us at a 'skeleton' crew...or so they said.

Well today they cut that number in half.  I was one of 10 people to be let go.  I'm not sad.  I'm not even really angry.  I think I'm more relieved than anything.  Work has been really stressful lately...never knowing what's coming next...so many closed door meetings...and just a general feeling of uneasiness has been sitting in the office for months now.  After my 'meeting' I walked back to my desk and look at all of the CRAP that I needed to do and was so relieved that I didn't have to do it!  They didn't give me any sort of notice...just that today was my last day, so I in no way felt obligated to help them out.

It helps to know that it wasn't a personal decision on their part - it wasn't anything I did, or didn't do.  I'm not alone, with 9 other people also being let go, we were like a little 'club' today. 

I think the thing that sucks the most is that it's just 2 weeks before Christmas!  This year is already tight and now it is even more so.  I did get a nice severance package and have some vacation time I'm being paid for...so I have about 2 months to look for a new job...but still.

My plan is to enjoy the holidays with my family and friends.  I was already planning on taking vacation from Christmas Eve through the new year.  Now I have more time to spend with everyone.  I think I may even go down to my mom's and help her bake next week...which is something I haven't done since I was a kid.

So, for those of you who are also unemployed during this holiday season, I can empathize and I feel you pain.  For those of you are still employed - be thankful for what you have.

5 comments:

starfish said...

That is so tough! I'm happy you have a positive outlook on it and good luck with the job hunt! Its good that you are taking the time to enjoy the holidays before looking. Enjoy your time off :)

CIP said...

Good luck with the job search. I'm happy that you realized it might be for the better! You'll find a great job, and in the meantime enjoy that time off!

Janet said...

oh, sweetie, I'm really sorry. It seems like you totally are not alone (which is sad, but you know what I mean, right?) However, now you have more time to plan the wedding!! :)

Kailyn said...

Hey Jenni- I'm sorry to hear about your job. Best of luck to you in your job search. I've been checking your blog regularly...we should keeep in touch throughout our wedding planning processes!

Mrs Pop said...

Ouch. It sucks that it happened right before Christmas, but you sound very "healthy" about it all... Sometimes I think it would be a relief to be laid off of my job, so I get that part.